Monday, September 29, 2014

My take on the whole Uber vs Taxi bashing

I know our local taxi service is far from perfect, and there certainly is a LOT of room for improvement.

HOWEVER...
People are comparing their best experience of Uber to their worst taxi experience. Uber's ups versus taxi's downs. How is that a fair comparison?

95% of the time I've had a positive taxi experience. I've even had (a fair amount of times, mind you) taxi rides that go by meter, and the driver gives me a rounded up discount when we reach my destination. ie: RM52 and he told me RM50 will do.
Also, a small tip goes a long way. And you'll see just how far it goes when you get picked up by the same driver who remembers you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all against Uber. It's always better to have fair competition in the market, as it pushes companies to improve on their services, and us as the general public will benefit from it. It's also nice to have more options in a country where public transportation is far from great. The number of cars on the road speaks for itself, as most people prefer to drive themselves around.

All I'm saying is, before bashing our Taxi services like they still owe you money; be reminded that Uber also has areas that needs to be looked into before it can be considered as fair competition. Or do we need to have a serious case happen in Malaysia before we realize just how bad it can turn out to be when things go wrong?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home